Skip to main content

Been Meaning to Update this Site...


Been meaning to update this site, it’s just I woke up last September to find the dog had crapped on the rug so my wife and I set to work cleaning that up with water and vinegar and that smelled terrible then the baby woke up and needed her diaper changed and didn’t exactly smell great and she got very upset when there was a picture of Minnie Mouse on her diaper instead of Doc McStuffins so I calmed her down and got her dressed and my wife took her to daycare while I went to yoga then took a shower and tried to do the dishes but the disposal was broken so I called the repair guy Steve and made an appointment then got an email from my dad soliciting a list of grievances I have with him – he thought maybe I’d have 25 of them – so I wrote that salivating and contemplating and what I sent was whimsical and empathetic and downright kind yet he complained it was too mean even though he asked for a list of grievances and all I want is for him to take some basic accountability for being woefully negligent so I went to spin class and took a shower and shaved then made dinner and fell asleep on the couch and in the morning I listened to podcasts and got measured for a custom suit for a wedding in October and looked really good and on the train I read some depressing books then taught a class, went home and ate too much ice cream and felt ashamed of myself so I cleaned the bathroom while listening to more podcasts and not getting enough sleep and my flight was delayed due to mechanical issues and I missed the wedding in Palm Springs and Susan Orlean liked my Tweet and nobody got to see how dynamite I look in my new custom suit and I ate too much Chinese food and watched too much football while caring too much about my fantasy teams and the baby needed me to help her poop which was as confusing and gross as it sounds then the cat tracked litter all over the house and I needed to sweep and dog needed to go out so I had to gather her crap in a bag then it was Friday night and Saturday morning and I had 200 papers to grade then 35 pilot pitches on which to provide positive, constructive and never belittling or discouraging feedback so I bought some shoes and changed a diaper, watched Disney movies, SUCCESSION, BARRY and MRS. MAISEL, all of which I recommend, but then the cat threw up – they’re such clean animals – and I had to scrape that up so I drank too much and didn’t get enough sleep and went to yoga and we hosted Thanksgiving and I ate pie to lift my spirits and it didn’t really work then my mom came to visit and the baby got really constipated then we took the baby to our Buddhist Temple, had a great time and haven’t been back since but I went to spin class and checked email and found out a student died so I did some online shopping for things I didn’t need and we went to look at a condo and it was perfect – you all would have been so jealous - so we put in a bid for full asking price and the next morning learned the people who really wanted the house offered 20% over asking but our beaks were wet so we looked for more places, found one we love, made an offer and close in a couple weeks and are scheduling contractors and I woke up at 3am to build my daughter a kitchen for Christmas then car broke down in the rain on Lake Shore Drive and we waited for a tow truck driver who didn't want to tow us because it involved too much paperwork with the city and my wife got sick, the car got $2,500 of repairs then my baby got sick then I got sick then I reconnected with old friends about creative projects that aren’t this blog and I thought about writing but it felt pointless and I fought with my wife and I yelled at myself and I went to therapy and stopped seeing one of my therapists and started seeing the other more often, went to yoga, helped the baby poop, went to the dentist and just got back from taking Bea to the dentist and I’m told it’s February.  So, sorry I haven’t been blogging.  I’m gonna try to do one a week. 

Comments

More Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dad...

Some Practical Advice on Living With Monsters

Ever since becoming a dad, I’ve been grumpier than usual.   Some of my negative mood could be attributed to life as a new parent and adjusting to the new responsibilities which come with this new reality.   Some of my negative mood could be attributed to the insomnia which, like some Twilight Zone, Monkey's Paw plot twist, comes hand-in-hand with the new workload and stakes of parenting.   All your decisions have new weight to them, there’s a human being you have to keep alive and the twist is you get to do it all without sleep. Some of my negative mood could be attributed to the fact we bought a house and had to deal with realtors and lawyers and banks and movers and contractors and the rest of the people whose job it seemed to be to screw us over as we tried to make a home.   Some of my negative mood could be attributed to the junk food I ate as a coping mechanism for the aforementioned stresses, which paradoxically made me more anxious then groggier, neither o...

The Iceberg

I’m going to assume you know about the Titanic, the colossal boat that sank in the North Atlantic, not the 1997 film about the two lovers on the colossal boat that… well, I won’t spoil it for you.  You may not know that the Night Captain who spotted the iceberg was inexperienced and thought putting the engines in reverse would help; instead, the swirling water created a vacuum, pulling frozen doom even closer.  Still, the luxury liner was engineered to withstand a head-on collision with an iceberg. There would have been damage of course, but the ship, 1,503 people and that enormous diamond would not have been lost. However, the newby Night Captain thought it wise to turn the ship, trying to avoid a collision.  In so doing, the iceberg caught the side of the hull, where the ship was weakest, fastened together with cheap rivets to save money. As a result, water flooded areas no engineer imagined it could reach and, after a harrowing struggle, the ship was swallowed by...

The Gifted Grift

From the age of eight I was placed in accelerated learning classes and told I was Gifted and Talented. GT courses again and again reiterated the idea I was special and I believed it wholeheartedly. I thought I was smarter than everybody. I was perceptive: I saw truths other people ignored. I thought I was better, more capable, quicker witted, sharper tongued, more logically coherent and just superior to pretty much everyone, even my GT peers. My success was assured.  My confidence in my success came from movies and books, rap songs and other capitalist pop culture promises of perfect romances and limitless wealth; it came from GT programs which told me I could be anything and which were relatively easy for me to navigate given the structures of a scholastic environment; it came from the fact I was pretty good at most of the things I bothered to try. By 22, I assumed virtually boundless capabilities were innate in me just waiting to blossom.  My success would be as glorious ...

Put Your Marriage in Jeopardy!

It’s polar vortex season which means it’s a nice time or year to stay inside. The idea of a few days bundled up indoors used to be daunting or carry the risk of boredom, but thanks to streaming video I now have access to just about every movie or TV show that’s ever been made. The hours can go by surprisingly quickly.   Shows these days are so engrossing it’s easy to zone out.   My wife and I turned on Netflix’s RUSSIAN DOLL and I think the only thing we said to each other during the entire four-hour run of the first season was when I turned to her after episode one and said, “So we’re staying up late to finish this?” and she replied, “Duh.”      We’ve watched a lot lately.   RUSSIAN DOLL (Netflix, A+++), FOREVER (Amazon, C), I’M SORRY (TruTV/ Netflix, B+) THE GODFATHER (HBO, fell asleep), OCEAN’S EIGHT (HBO, fell asleep), 20 TH CENTURY WOMEN (Amazon, A++++). It’s easy to snuggle, mesmerized, engrossed, sitting in silence and slowly drifting apart. ...